Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Milk-bones and Manna

I was driving through the LANB drive-in window last week. The wind was blowing snow around, it
was a cold day but something I saw warmed my heart. I was looking through the glass and noticed two boxes of milk-bones on the counter behind the desk against the wall. At first, I was a little mystified and wondered deep in my mind 'what are milk-bones doing there?" Then it hit me… "CUSTOMER SERVICE!"

Maybe down deep the board of directors voted 8-0 in support of providing dog passengers the milkbones so they wouldn't chew up customer's deposit receipts. But something in me said; "you know, they really care about people!" Let's face it - we care about our pets, even basset hounds that chew up our study Bibles (yes, Maximus did that!) For someone to really think about the things people love, well… that's just special! Sure next to the boxes of milk-bones are the wonderful, multi-flavored suckers for our children and grandchildren (and the almost grown ups), but milk-bones?!  that's really special. My favorites are the orange and cream flavored by the way… just saying!

'Pastor, why milk-bones?'

It strikes me that church should always be about 'OTHERS'. Even if it means running the risk of being called to the CFO's office to inquire about the exorbitant cost of milk-bones and the drain it's having on the offering bag/box… I'm not suggesting here that we have a 'bring your dog to church day' and we'll baptize them, because 'All Dogs Go to Heaven' right? But I am suggesting that everything we do, always be for 'OTHERS'! In a world that is selfish, self-centered, self-absorbed and self-motivated - what would church services be like if we Christians considered 'OTHERS'? Probably a little less attention paid to ourselves and our little idols. Less focus spent on those little emotional golden calves that unexplainably just leap from the fire of our sacrifice. Maybe we would melt down those little worship action figures we call 'preferences'.

I can't promise you milk-bones this Sunday, but I can promise you a little manna from heaven; that daily bread that we all need. And along the way as we set our hearts on Him, we will invest in milk-bones because we care about 'OTHERS'…

Got Milk(bones)?

1 comment:

cb said...

Thank your for sharing this insight and reminding us of our mission.