Saturday, August 1, 2026

Forgetfulness

    I was speaking with my best friend the other day and shared with him the stark reality of aging: MEMORY! He told me about a dietary supplement, the name of which I would never remember. Being the good friend he is, he took a picture of it and sent it to me. 

Possibly you or your parents have said things such as:

  • "What was I supposed to get at the market?"
  • "What did i come in here to get...?"
  • "What's that person's name?"
Yes, I constantly make shopping lists, alarms and reminders on my phone. We all can do that. But are we remembering what the Lord has promised us?

As I was reading from Deuteronomy 7-8. Within these words are 2 very critical commands that apply to our daily walk with God:
  • "Remember..."
  • "...do not forget..."
"Remember how the Lord..." and "...do not forget the Lord your God..." (Deut. 8:2,11)  Moses was at the end of his life, camped up with the other Israelites who, (all but Moses), were about to cross over into the promise land. It's here that Moses reflects back and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit writes down the blessings associated with remembering the Lord, along with the punitive measures regarding forgetting the Lord. 

    Certainly there are things in our lives that we just assume forget. I do recall the words of the Apostle Paul, concerning our failures...
"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead."

The next time you forget something, take a second to remember the Lord and give thanks. Don't allow forgetfulness to rob you of the joy we have... In Christ!

No comments: